This course has been initiated by the Chair in cooperation with the Director of the Department of Teacher Information and Qualifications. The Faculty of Philosophy has developed a Jean Monnet Project on creating an opportunity for distant format of the course delivery.
The Department of European Studies, Sofia University “St Kliment Ohridski” http://phls.uni-sofia.bg/ in association with the Department of Teacher Information and Qualifications http://www.diuu.bg/ have designed an opportunity to engage school teachers in professional learning development on teaching the European dimension in Bulgarian schools and encourage the use of EU related content in their classrooms. The course involves a series of activities, courses, practical activities and workshops to create Teacher Portfolios in the EU related teaching in secondary schools. Alongside the training activities teachers also take part in online community activities where they present, interact with other teachers using social media and information channels, trial new resources for their classrooms and stream the presentations of the course outcomes to a wider teacher community.
Through the course teachers:
- Learn more about the European Union (EU)
- Discover how the EU fits into the Bulgarian Curriculum
- Enhance the European dimension of education
- Learn new ways to make the global nature of the world relevant to Bulgarian students
- Enhance leadership and research skills
- Networks with other teachers and share ideas
- Take part in Action – Research involving curriculum development and whole school projects.
The qualification course is accredited within the national teacher qualification system. The teachers who successfully graduate from the one-year qualification course are awarded Third qualification Level (out of a 5-level scale of Teacher qualification).
The second year of the qualifications course started in March 2014. It is envisaged that every year 15-20 secondary school teachers are selected and enrol into the Programme.